The BMW X3 is back with minimal changes in 2020 with the notable exception of a new M version.
The 2020 BMW X3 is available in a wide range of versions including the brand-new X3 M unveiled earlier this year. The BMW X3 M is powered by a 3.0-litre twin-turbocharged six-cylinder which delivers either 473 horsepower or 503 horsepower. That puts the X3 M directly in the path of the Alfa Romeo Stelvio Quadrifoglio and the Mercedes-AMG GLC 63 S. We haven’t had the chance the get behind the wheel of the new X3 M just yet, but we have high expectations.
Of course, the 2020 BMW X3 is a lot more than just the X3 M version. The BMW X3 is also available in X3 xDrive30i and M40i versions with the former powered by a 2.0-litre turbo four-cylinder engine with 248 horsepower and 258 pound-feet of torque. The BMW X3 M40i gets a massive jump in power thanks to a turbocharged 3.0-litre six-cylinder engine with 355 horsepower and 365 pound-feet of torque.
Pricing in Canada for the 2020 BMW X3 starts at $49,450 for the xDrive30i while the BMW X3 M40i starts at $66,200.
What the 2020 BMW X3 Does Well
- The BMW X3 is still the most fun to drive and dynamic compact luxury sport utility vehicle you can buy. It’s more connected to the road and agile than the Mercedes-Benz GLC and Audi Q5. The only rival that can compete is the Alfa Romeo Stelvio.
- The BMW X3 M40i is truly sporty. It has a great exhaust note and handles like a sports car. It’s no X3 M, but it will make you question if you really need more.
- Fuel economy in the base four-cylinder turbo is quite impressive.
- It feels a little bigger than the Q5 or the GLC. Also does very well in terms of cargo space compared to its German competition.
What the 2020 BMW X3 Doesn’t Do So Well
- Doesn’t tow as much as an Audi Q5 (2,000 kilos vs 2,400 kilos)
- More expensive all the way around than a Mercedes-Benz GLC
- Doesn’t have the interior space of an Acura RDX or a Volvo XC60.
- Ride may be too harsh for some
What We Tell Our Friends About the 2020 BMW X3
The X3 has gotten bigger every time a new generation was introduced, but it hasn’t lost any of its sportiness. The 2020 BMW X3 is the perfect example of that. It’s fun to drive and dynamic, but it’s also versatile. Not the most spacious in the segment by any means, but can still meet the needs of a young family while also making the drive to the ski hill more enjoyable.
2020 BMW X3 Images