Is it possible to be excited about a Corolla? A Toyota Corolla? After driving the new 2019 Corolla hatchback, the answer is yes. But despite this answer, typical Corolla buyers might be left scratching their heads once they sample the new product.
The Toyota Corolla is the best-selling car in the history of the World and there are no signs that this trend will slow down. In fact, this new Corolla HB could be considered the best ever. And bring in a whole new generation of buyers.
Not your granny’s Corolla? Let’s dive in a little deeper:
Why you should buy a 2019 Toyota Corolla HB:
- If you’re in the market for a compact hatchback, the Corolla is not only one of the safer bets (resale value, reliability) but also one of the more attractive and modern options.
- It drives and handles as good if not better than all its competition. Don’t believe me? Go ahead and try it.
- Both transmissions are excellent. The CVT might be the best there is in the segment. No longer is this a shameful option. The 6-speed manual is still the right choice. In fact, if you want to learn, this is a great car to do it in.
- With said CVT, the Corolla HB is the most fuel-efficient in the category.
- The level of tech and standard safety features with the new Corolla HB are practically unrivalled.
Why you should not buy a 2019 Toyota Corolla HB:
- Regardless how great the new Corolla is, it’s still a Corolla. And, unless your Corolla is an AE86 or from the first four generations, your buddies will never take you seriously.
- It has no trunk, no real useful back seat either. If you have two camping besties, you’ll have to make a choice as the seatback will have to go down to fit the tent, cooler and other gear.
- It might handle exceptionally well but the only other compact car you’ll be able to take on from a dead-stop will be a Corolla sedan. The HB could use more gusto.
The new 2019 Toyota Corolla HB is a winner on nearly all points. Pricing and packaging are very competitive but its undersized boot could be enough to for one to shop elsewhere, or upmarket. As a Plan B, consider the Mazda3 Sport, Volkswagen Golf or one of the Subaru Impreza/Crosstrek duo.