A fully-electric Hyundai Kona gave its owner quite a scare in Montreal on Friday.
A Hyundai Kona EV apparently exploded for no apparent reason inside the garage of a home located in Île-Bizard, a suburb located roughly 45 minutes from downtown Montreal.
The owner, Piero Consentino, said he was having launch on Friday, July 26th when he heard an explosion coming from his garage. Smoke then began entering the house.
When he ran outside, he saw his garage door blown across the street, a hole in the roof, and his Hyundai Kona EV on fire. He tried to put the fire out using a garden hose as he waited for firefighters to arrive.
According to Consentino, the Kona EV which he purchased back in March wasn’t plugged in and wasn’t charging.
According to Louise Desrosiers who’s with the Montreal firefighter service, there was nothing in the garage that could have led to an explosion.
The Kona EV is powered by a lithium-ion battery which have been known to become unstable in very high temperatures. The weather in Montreal on Friday reach 31 degrees Celsius, or 87 degrees Fahrenheit.
The investigation is ongoing.