The Alfa Romeo Giulia came in hot last year with a spiffy Italian design with the sportiness to back it up.
Genuinely fun to drive, the Giulia certainly made a mark on the North American market. That said, is the 2019 Alfa Romeo Giulia still a good buy today?
The Giulia gets a few upgrades for 2019, namely the addition of optional heated rear seats along with new trims, new wheels and new color options. On the whole, however, it’s still the same car.
It’s powered by a 2.0-liter turbocharged four-cylinder engine that delivers 280 horsepower and 306 pound-feet of torque which can sent to either the rear wheels or all four wheels via an 8-speed automatic gearbox.
You can also go crazy and opt for the Quadrifoglio complete with a four-leaf clover on the side (perhaps the coolest automotive emblem today) and a very angry, 2.9-liter turbocharged V6 that delivers 505 horsepower and 443 pound-feet of torque.
You’ll get to 100 km/h in under 4.0 seconds with the Quadrifoglio, and it’s RWD.
For this Should You Buy feature, however, we will focus on the Giulia trims powered by the 2.0-liter turbo four. As for the Quadrifoglio, well, if you want to buy go right ahead. It’s worth every penny and you’ll outshine any AMG C63 or M3 vehicle in the vicinity.
Why you should buy a 2019 Alfa Romeo Giulia
1. That turbocharged four-cylinder engine delivers more power than any entry-level engine in any German competitor. For the same price or close to it, you’ll be smoking any C 300, Audi A4 or BMW 330i that gets in your way.
2. Handling is pure bliss. The Giulia has this tiny steering wheel with massive paddle shifters that makes you feel like you are driving some kind of exotic Italian car, and it almost handles like it as well. It’s solid, planted, and remarkably quick to react to any steering inputs.
3. You will get noticed in an Alfa Romeo Giulia. If your goal is to stand in the crowd, forget the C Class, 3 Series or A4, and get this.
4. The trunk is actually pretty spacious with 480 liters. This isn’t a big car by any stretch, but the trunk will surprise you.
5. This thing may be new and Italian, it has a very well-built interior with quality materials and impressive craftsmanship. Nothing looks flimsy inside or out.
Why you shouldn’t buy a 2019 Alfa Romeo Giulia
1. For some reason, Alfa Romeo went with their own infotainment system in the Giulia as opposed to digging in the FCA parts bin and developing some sort of Uconnect-based system. It’s a frustrating infotainment system to say the least with too many menus and too many ways to get lost in it.
2. You get more power than most competitors at the same price point, but you also get the fuel consumption that goes with it.
3. There are less Alfa Romeo dealerships than Mercedes-Benz, BMW or Audi dealers. If you live in a city you should be good, but keep in mind that any unexpected maintenance while you’re on vacation or any other time you need a dealership may be a problem depending on where you are.
4. If the sunroof is open and you wash the windshield, you will get more than a light sprinkling of washer fluid. It’s noticeable and annoying.
5. There’s very little space in the back seats.
What we tell our friends
The 2019 Alfa Romeo Giulia is for you early adopters out there. It’s for buyers who want to be different and put driving pleasure at the top of their list of priorities.
It’s luxurious and refined, incredibly fun to drive and you get a ton of bang for your buck with the turbo engine. On the other hand, that infotainment system and those limited rear seats will be deal breakers for some.
Alfa Romeo Giulia Images