The 2019 Lexus ES is the 7th generation of Lexus’ mid-size luxury sedan that positions itself between the Lexus IS and Lexus GS. Known for its comfort and sophistication, the ES has been completely redesigned in order to be more fun to drive, sportier, and a lot less boring.
The idea here is that Lexus wants BMW, Audi, and Mercedes-Benz owners to take a look at the 2019 Lexus ES. In the past, these buyers wouldn’t even test drive the ES given its reputation as a soft vehicle tailored to elderly buyers.
But what if you are a current ES owner? Has everything that you loved about your current vehicle been preserved? And if you thought the ES was simply a boring car, should you check out the new generation?
Let’s have a look.
Why You Should Buy a 2019 Lexus ES
- The ES’ personality has drastically changed. Built on a new platform, the ES has a much stiffer chassis, more power, and a retuned mechanical setup that makes the care tighter in sharp turns and a lot more engaging to drive. You actually have fun driving a Lexus ES now. Switch to Sport+ mode, and the engine actually sounds louder and sportier. Can you imagine that, a nice sounding ES?
- The new F Sport version is more than just more aggressive visually. Yes, it has an exclusive blue color and yes it’s interior is sportier, but it also has an adaptive suspension that adjusts to whatever driving situation you find yourself in.
- There’s a lot more space inside thanks to the new platform. There’s quite a bit of space in the trunk as well. The ES may be a mid-size sedan, but it’s very close to being a full-size model. There’s a lot of space in the back and your passengers are sure to be quite comfortable.
- The 2019 Lexus ES may have a more dynamic personality, but it is still refined and sophisticated inside. Fit and finish is impressive, and you know reliability will be spotless. The interior of the 2019 Lexus ES is a beautiful place to spend time in which is not something you would say about the BMW 3 Series, for example.
- It remains comfortable on the road. It’s a bit harsher than the outgoing model, but it’s really not as bad as you would expect given how much more agile the car is now. It’s still a very refined ride.
Why You Shouldn’t Buy a 2019 Lexus ES
- It’s still a front-wheel drive model. Lexus will tell you that ES owners don’t care, but whenever you are aiming at luxury car buyers, you have to offer all-wheel drive. AWD would work well with the ES’ new personality as it will always provide better handling than a FWD setup, but it’s also a lot more fun to drive an AWD model in winter. Ultimately, the only reason you would want a FWD vehicle in winter is if you’ve never driven an all-wheel drive vehicle…
- There’s no Android Auto, yet. It may come, but for now you’ll have to use the traditional Bluetooth system and won’t have access to the advanced features of Android Auto. Apple owners are fine.
- There’s still that weird trackpad setup to control the infotainment system. I really don’t get how anyone can think this is an easier way to play around with the menus than a dial or a touchscreen. It’s not, and never will be. I’m in my 30s, I’m used to technology and I can’t get used to this pad. You won’t either. This isn’t one of those things that goes away once you’ve owned the car for a few weeks.
The 2019 Lexus ES is nothing like the six previous generations of the car. If your BMW, Audi or Mercedes-Benz’ lease is coming to an end, you’re a young professional and you want a car that will be as comfortable as it is sporty, the ES should be on your test drive list.
Read more about the 2019 Lexus ES here.