As a true crossover, the Subaru Crosstrek has a wheel in every aspect that defines what a true sport utility vehicle is. This is the Subaru way.
The 2019 Subaru Crosstrek quickly gained favour with consumers looking for the rugged “SUV” look without being like everyone else in their neighborhood. Subaru’s done a wonderful job of giving the raised and pumped Impreza hatchback its own personality and we typically love almost everything about it.
Now, about it being a real SUV, I’m not bee-essing anyone. Think about it this way: there’s nothing sporty about a Hyundai Santa Fe or a Toyota Highlander and yet they are known as sport utility vehicles. The 2019 Subaru Crosstrek is utility, rugged, sporty and dependable, and more.
Is the Crosstrek the right real SUV for you? Read on.
Why you should buy a 2019 Subaru Crosstrek
1) At $23,695, there are essentially no other options with a real AWD system and this level of good looks.
2) I should not admit to this but despite being driven hard on snowy and icy surfaces, my 6-speed manual tester and I managed an average of just over 9L/100km of petrol. I was impressed.
3) The current generation Crosstrek is based on Subaru’s Global Platform (SGP) which brilliantly combines compliant chassis tuning with a safe a solid build quality.
4) The Crosstrek’s unique styling makes it standout despite its popularity. All week, every time I spotted another, I felt as though I was part of an elite club.
5) The optional continuously variable transmission is perfectly suited to the 4-cylinder engine power.
Why you should not buy a 2019 Subaru Crosstrek
1) The standard 6-speed manual transmission is notchy and not especially pleasant – this will bite me in the ass when they finally decide to pull it for good…
2) The 2.0-litre 4-cylinder’s power is only just adequate unless you dig deep in engine revs. The CVT helps but it’s a CVT…
3) However much we love the Crosstrek, boot volume is no greater than good. There are numerous crossovers, like the Honda HR-V, that are far more generous in this department.
4) Subaru legendary boxer horizontally-opposed engines are an acquired taste – they remain noisy and not all that refined.
5) Subaru has yet to make one available with the Forester’s 2.5-litre flat-4 engine.
You can’t go wrong with a 2019 Subaru Crosstrek. Its greatest feature is its fun, easy-to-live-with nature. It feels like a tween-ager that has not yet been robbed of his or her fearlessness.
2019 Subaru Crosstrek Images