Should you or shouldn’t you buy a 2020 Genesis G90? After reviewing the car recently, we are looking into the question.
Genesis has taken on the tremendous task of penetrating the luxury car business, setting itself apart with a new type of model that vaguely doesn’t involve dealerships (but rather experience centres), and that lets buyers purchase a car via mobile or computer. With the 2020 Genesis G90, Hyundai-owned Genesis wishes to pierce through the thick armour of European cars dominating the segment, think Mercedes-Benz S-Class, BMW 7-series and Audi A8.
The G90 is the flagship sedan of the current three-car Genesis lineup (which are all sedans) and has received many exterior changes and mechanical tweaks. Even if it sits on the same platform as the outgoing model, the exterior has evolved drastically. Inside the cabin, the centre stack and console took the bulk of the changes.
The 2020 Genesis G90 is offered in one, fully-equipped variant. But it is not for everyone, however. Here’s why we think you should, or shouldn’t buy a 2020 Genesis G90.
Why you should by a Genesis G90
It definitely stands out. Even if looks are subjective, I think the 2020 Genesis G90 looks the part. Not only the overall lines, headlamps and unique wheels are beautiful, but they also make the G90 stand out from the German mega sedans. It looks executive and, well, definitely doesn’t look like a Hyundai.
It has the right engine and transmission pairing. The G90 is powered by a 5.0-litre V8 engine that releases 420 horsepower and 383 lb-ft of torque. There’s also the 3.3-litre twin-turbo V6 that is available on special order if you’re into that. This one has 365 horsepower and 376 lb-ft of torque. And we didn’t test it.
Paired to the V8 is an 8-Speed automatic transmission hooked up to an AWD system. This one is pretty neat, in normal driving conditions, 60% of the torque is sent in the rear and 40% in the front. In Sport mode in a high-speed cornering situation, 90% of the pound-feet output can be sent to the rear, leaving the remaining 10% to the front.
The trio gives an impressive performance for a big luxury sedan. Shifting is smooth, and response is quick. Plus, the G90 can corner (almost) like a pro thanks to the multi-link suspension with an internal valve system. It’s not pneumatic, but the G90 feels a lot smaller than it is; it is nimble and agile.
It has a plush and comfortable cabin. Unsurprisingly, the G90 had to adopt the limo character, so designers filled the interior with tons of amenities and space. In the front, the incredibly comfortable seats come with the Smart Posture Care feature that proposes the ideal seat settings for the driver according to height, weight and other dimensions. In the rear, the reclining seats have massaging features and are worthy of royalty in terms of comfort.
It has a worry-free maintenance plan. We know that big fat German cars can cost a small fortune in terms of maintenance. Genesis is offering a maintenance plan that could be a deal-breaker for some: the Complimentary Scheduled Maintenance valid for five years or 100,000 km. Thanks to the Genesis Concierge, technicians will pick up your G90 at your home or workplace, give you a loaner, and conduct the maintenance before bringing it back to you on a silver platter (ok maybe not on the patter, but you get the drill).
Why you shouldn’t buy a 2020 Genesis G90
Ride comfort in the rear is not as good as expected. The suspension does excellent work at making the G90 handle itself even with its weight. But driving it on tough urban roads showed us that it could benefit from a bit more comfort, especially for the passengers in the rear seats. Rivals such as the 7-Series proved to be handling road defect a little better.
It doesn’t carry that much prestige. Yet. Genesis is still a new brand. And it is still being associated with Hyundai – with reason. For some customers, spending almost 90K on a luxury sedan has to come with a certain level of prestige – or a name.
If you’re in the market for a handsome full-size luxury sedan, the 2020 Genesis G90 is worth looking into, especially if you’re into reliability and ease of maintenance more than prestige and… driving a name.
2020 Genesis G90 Photo Gallery