Where do I begin, or how do I begin to answer this question? First, the fact that the Audi RS 6 is on its way to our shores is damn near a miracle. Yes, Audi Sport is killing it this year with loads of new hardcore products like the RS Q8, but none are more special than the RS 6.
Second, as a vulgar station wagon, the RS 6 is a risky proposition for Audi – long-roof cars have not had it easy in North America for a long time. It might be coming to our shores but if Audi doesn’t sell enough of them to make it worth their while, they can simply pull the plug on it, and it’s game over.
Third, and this is where you come in: You HAVE to buy one! I’m too poor as a lowly Canadian auto critic to afford a new one but, in six or seven years from now, I might pick up a used example. Now, obviously this is not the only reason to buy one, but it’s a good one!
But seriously, let’s take a few minutes together and see if a new Audi RS 6 should, or should not, find its way into your car fleet.
Why you should buy a 2021 Audi RS 6 Avant:
· #saveawagon. This is a is a new program I’ve just started. It’s the coolest new trend and you need to be in on it.
· It’s a 592-horsepower quattro AWD station wagon. What more is there?
· The car can handle a trip to the mall (remember those?), to Ikea and to the in-laws. And on the weekend, to let off steam, you can take it to your favorite local track and crush everyone there. Also, make them drool.
· Beyond the performance, the Audi RS 6 Avant is extremely luxurious and comfortable.
· The “I know what I have” movement will be at its peak with Audi RS 6 Avant owners. We, the plebe, will be quite envious.
Why you should not buy a 2021 Audi RS 6 Avant:
· Because you, like I, can’t afford one.
· You prefer SUVs and enjoy being like everyone else.
· If you are considering a Mercedes-AMG E 63 S wagon, you could be forgiven for not buying an RS 6.
· Wagons aren’t for everyone. Recently, stories broke about smarter and successful people are slowly migrating back to station wagons. You aren’t one of those people…
If you’ve made it this far in this edition of “Should You Buy?”, I thank you. This has, without a doubt, been the least productive or helpful SYB I’ve ever written.
The bottom line is that no one will shop for a 2021 Audi RS 6 Avant – people will buy it because it is simply one of the coolest cars North America’s ever had the privilege to sell. The all-new C8 Chevy Corvette is a marvel to be sure but once all C5 owners somehow find a way to unload their unwanted Vettes, they’ll all be out buying a new C8 – even those who’ve said they’ll never own a mid-engine-d Corvette will. In other words, it’ll be common.
Now, despite the fact that Audi Sport says they’ll sell however many RS 6 Avant the buying public wants, there won’t be that many on the road. Of the few that might consider it, half will chicken out and get an RS Q8 or BMW X5M thinking that an SUV is a “smarter” purchase. Not.
And so, in conclusion, you should absolutely buy a new 2021 Audi RS 6 Avant.