Wednesday, March 3, 2021
News Tesla Made Up Almost 80% Of All New EVs Registered In The...

Tesla Made Up Almost 80% Of All New EVs Registered In The US In 2020

Tesla not only has a lead in battery technology but it dominates EV sales by an impossible margin


  • Indeed, Tesla owns all things EV for now in North America.

  • The exact dominating number is 79% of the market leaving only 21% for all others.


The Tesla phenomenon will be recounted in automotive history as having nearly as much impact on the business as did Ford when they launched the assembly line. In less than a decade, the brand pushed the EV agenda to new heights and its importance shows as they continue to rule all other OEMs combined in sales.

2021 Tesla Model 3 | Photo: Tesla

The race to get EVs to the masses was won by Tesla. The question now is: Can they keep it up? With nearly all major carmakers announcing plans to introduce new EVs in the next few years, Tesla’s considerable lead will likely be chipped away. For the moment, however, there is no contest.

All four of Tesla’s models, the S, X, 3, and Y find themselves in the Top 5 selling EVs in the US for 2020. Only the Chevrolet Bolt, in the 3rd spot, outsold the Model S and Model X. Even so, the first mass-produced EV, the Nissan Leaf, was outdone by the Model S with about 75% more deliveries, according to Road Show.

2022 Chevrolet Bolt EUV and Bolt EV Officially Revealed

2021 will see a number of additional models land on this list including the Ford Mustang Mach-E, Volkswagen ID.4, and the soon-to-arrive Chevrolet Bolt EUV. By year’s end, others will join including the Nissan Ariya, and let’s not forget a number of electric pickups from Rivian and Ford.

Tesla’s the only maker here with something to lose.

Trending Now

2021 Chevrolet Corvette Gets $1,000 Price Hike in US

Corvette no longer $59,995 for base trim All models see $1,000 price hike American buyers can say farewell to the days of the sub...

All-New 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Is Priced From $52,495 In Canada

The new Jeep will be offered in Laredo, Limited, Overland, and Summit trims. The top-line Summit will be priced from $74,495. The 2022...

Jaguar Land Rover Killed Electric Platform, Wasn’t Good Enough for Brand

Now the automaker needs a new electric platform and fast Company now paying millions in CO2 fines in Europe Jaguar Land Rover announced last...

Jeep Wrangler, Renegade Get Tiki With Islander Edition

A return of the island-inspired Wranglers of days past Adds graphics, new trim to two popular Jeeps It's barely March, but Jeep is all...

NHTSA Investigating Nearly 1.9 Million Toyota RAV4s For Potential Engine Fires Risks

Model year under investigation range from 2013 to 2018. This RAV4 is the best-selling vehicle in the US and Canada after full-size pickups. The...
Matt St-Pierre
Matt St-Pierre
Trained as an Automotive Technician, Matt has two decades of automotive journalism under his belt. He’s done TV, radio, print and this thing called the internet. He’s an avid collector of many 4-wheeled things, all of them under 1,500 kg, holds a recently expired racing license and is a father of two. Life is beautiful. Send Matt an emai

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.