Wednesday, February 1, 2023
News The Renault-Nissan-Mitsubishi Alliance will Introduce 30 New EVs by 2030

The Renault-Nissan-Mitsubishi Alliance will Introduce 30 New EVs by 2030

The Alliance formed by Renault, Nissan and Mitsubishi will catch up to its rivals by introducing 30 new electric models by 2030

  • This will be part of a plan to triple EV investments

  • The Alliance also aims for price parity of compact EVs by 2025

  • Almost all of these new EVs will share the same 5 platforms

The RenaultNissanMitsubishi Alliance will announce its plans for the decade later this week, the most important details of which are already known.

The Alliance plans to triple its investment in electric vehicles over the rest of the decade in order to bring 30 new EVs to market by 2030.

This will allow the automakers to catch up to their competition in terms of electrification, since despite being the first to introduce a mainstream EV with the Leaf in 2011, Nissan still only has the Leaf and the new Ariya in its electric portfolio. Mitsubishi currently doesn’t have an electric vehicle for sale outside of Asia. Renault is doing better, with 6 electric vehicles and 6 hybrids in Europe, but its sales don’t reach our market.

The 30 EVs that will be added will be distributed between the three automakers in an unknown way, so one brand could have more than the others.

This plan will add $20 billion Euros to the $10 billion Euros that have already been invested into electrification, thus effectively tripling the total amount the Alliance will spend in this segment.

Another key aspect of this plan is to reach price parity between compact EVs and similarly sized combustion engine powered vehicles by 2025.

90% of the electric vehicles that will be introduced by the Alliance by 2030 will be built on one of 5 new platforms and they will share batteries and key components. The remaining 10% will use 4 current platforms, such as the one that underpins the Nissan Ariya.

Since the three automakers currently have their own electric and hybrid powertrains that are not shared, this approach will bring a new way of doing things.

Nissan and Mitsubishi are also expected to use solid-state batteries that have been developed by the former.

In order to supply enough batteries, the plan will also include large sums to expand battery manufacturing in France, the UK, China and Japan up to a capacity of 220 GWh.

Trending Now

Porsche is still working on its three-motor Taycan

The current Porsche Taycan Turbo S delivers 750 hp and 774 ft-lb of torque. The super sedans from Tesla and Lucid are already...

MINI 2023 Lineup: Models And Changes Overview

The MINI Clubman is no longer available in Canada. Simplified equipment group lineups across the model line. New colours, new features, and of...

2023 Mercedes-Benz EQE Sedan pricing announced for Canada

2023 Mercedes-Benz EQE fully-electric sedan to start at $85,600 in Canada Three versions will be offered New Mercedes-AMG EQE 4MATIC+ will start at...

Audi is Working on an Electric RS6 e-Tron that will be launched Next Year

This model will use the new PPE platform and it will feature a wider body and larger wheels. The A6 e-Tron concept reportedly...

The Next Toyota Tacoma was Revealed in Patent Images

The new Tacoma will look very similar to the Tacoma EV concept and the current Tundra. A hybrid powertrain is likely to be...

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.