You may not know this but the Jeep Wrangler is quite expensive. We’ve put together a list of cars and SUVs you could purchase with the same coin.
When I spec’d a 2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara to match my tester, I almost fell off my chair. And this, despite knowing full-well that these hardcore boxes on wheels don’t come cheap. If you peruse through the picture gallery, I bet you’d never guess that the Punk’n Metallic (orange) Jeep retailed for this much.
$63,000. Yikes. And this is for the Sahara. A fully loaded Rubicon can set you back over $68,000!!
What made this unit so pricey? The base price of a naked 6-speed manual transmission Wrangler Unlimited Sahara is $48,990. Yeah, we know… The tester included the turbocharged 2.0-litre 4-cylinder engine (amazingly powerful) with accompanying 8-speed automatic transmission, the colour, the tech grey optional wheels, and all the options including the cold weather group, safetytech group, Uconnect 4C with navigation, the really cool and expensive ($4,000) sky power soft top and leather seats, all together for the aforementioned grand total.
So, what could all that money buy you? Other than the Jeep? Clearly, the Wrangler is irreplaceable, unmatched, unique and well, hell, it’s a Jeep Wrangler. But what if you were curious and wanted to know what else is out there… Here are our Top 10 alternatives, in no particular order, to the $63,000 Jeep Wrangler:
- 2019 Audi S5 Sportback: Progressiv, Navarra blue, as is, $63,990.
- 2019 BMW M240i : A 6-speed manual, RWD brilliant 2-door coupe. It would be Estoril Blue, Dakota leather, black 18-inch wheels with performance tires and M Performance exhaust for a total of $51,600.
- 2019 Porsche Macan S: Only option would be the Mamba Green for a total of $63,790.
- 2019 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack 392: 6-speed manual, Go Mango, both the Driver convenience and Plus groups, Dynamics package, Shaker package with P Zero summer tires, SRT Barracuda spoiler and adaptive damping suspension for a total of $64,695.
- 2019 Chevrolet Colorado ZR2: Crew cab, short box, Cajun red, 2.8-litre Duramax 4-cylinder, Colorado ZR2 Bison package, Sport appearance package and off-road sport bar for the lofty sum of $61,040.
- 2019 Mercedes-AMG C 43 4MATIC wagon: Hyacinth red and AMG night package for only $62,000.
- 2019 Ford Mustang Bullitt: Dark Highland green and Recaro seats for a total of $59,425
- 2019 Toyota 4RUNNER TRD Pro, Voodoo blue and that’s it, for a total of $56,580.
- 2019 Tesla Model 3: Long Range, Dual Motor, Black, ugly aero wheels, as is, stretching the budget just a tad, at $68,990.
- And the bargain of the lot – 2019 Volkswagen Golf R: 6-speed manual, Lapiz blue (because VW cut the Spektrum Program for the car right from under our noses without telling anyone), the Oettinger package, for tiny total of $47,819. This would leave plenty of room for a brief trip to Unitronic for a $700 Stage 1+ upgrade for a real total of 375-horsepower and 350 lb.-ft. of torque…
As you can see, there’s loads of options out there for $63,000, or near that amount, but nearly all of them would leave you stranded come Armageddon. The 4RUNNER would guzzle all the fuel within minutes so it would be of no real help.
Which car or SUV would you get for the money?