The 2020 Chevy Camaro SS gains a new front fascia and the V6 models get an optional 10-speed automatic transmission.
General Motors is trying hard to boost interest in the Chevy Camaro as sales continue to drop below expectations and hopes. A new front grille and bumper treatment for the SS will likely change nothing however the 3.6-litre V6 inherits an adapted version of the V8’s optional 10-speed automatic transmission.
Chevrolet introduced the Camaro Shock show vehicle at last fall’s SEMA Show and apparently customers and enthusiasts liked what they saw. According to GM’s press release: “Customers spoke, and we listened,” said Steve Majoros, director of Chevrolet passenger car and crossover marketing. “The overwhelmingly positive reaction to the Shock’s stylized design helped prompt its transition from concept to production.”
Whether this is 100% of the reason behind yet another update to the Camaro is debatable. What isn’t is that sales have suffered a nosedive in recent past. So weak have delivers been of late that the Dodge Challenger has overtaken the Camaro as the #2 best-selling sports car in the US, behind the Ford Mustang.
The 10-speed autobox with the V6 is the most exciting update as far we’re concerned. GM does not share any performance data however we think that both acceleration and fuel economy will see noteworthy improvements.
Other updates the 2020 Chevy Camaro are as follows (from the press release):
- Rally Green exterior color.
- Rear spoiler available on LS and LT (previously RS package only).
- Dark-tinted taillamps available on LS and LT.
- 20-inch forged aluminum wheels available on LT, LT1 and SS.
- Red or orange brake calipers available on LT, LT1 and SS models.
- Red seat belts available on all models (previously ZL1 only).
- Red kneepads available on all models.
- RECARO performance seats available on LT (previously 1LE only).
- Sueded microfiber-trimmed steering wheel and shift knob trim available on LT and SS (previously ZL1 and 1LE only).
- Alloy pedals available on all models (previously ZL1 only).
- Black bowtie badges and Camaro fender badge available on LT.
- Adrenaline Red and Ceramic White leather interiors now available on 2LT (previously 3LT and 2SS only).
- 3LT now comes standard with the 2.0L Turbo engine and the Convenience and Lighting package (previously optional).