BMW is on a roll. Rolling out incredible cars and SUVs, that is. The new BMW X4 M40i is one such example of an impressive SUV.
I’m currently experiencing a change of heart. When I first drove the F80 BMW M3 and F82 M4, I was so upset with how BMW’d mucked up the cars that I decided the company had lost its way. But then, I sampled a few recent cars, SUVs actually, and then changed my mind. BMW can still put some amazing vehicles together. This is true of all of BMW’s X SUVs, from the X1 to the monster X7.
If you are thinking about a compact to midsize luxury SUV, making up your mind and picking one could take a long while. In this brief story, we’ll help you figure out if BMW’s X4 should be on the list or not.
Why you should buy a 2019 BMW X4 M40i:
- BMW’s Cluster Architecture (CLAR) is wonderous. Every vehicle built upon it feels stronger and more put together than almost any other competitive vehicle.
- The X4 M40i’s power is not quite staggering but its responsiveness is momentous – it seems so much faster than the number suggest.
- The X4’s build quality, luxury, refinement and prestige are nothing short of impressive. This applies to the X3 as well.
- The BMW X4 M40i handles the road, the good, the bad and ugly of it, with superior poise and know-how.
- This latest generation X4 is distinct and unique enough from the X3 to deserve its place in the lineup.
Why you should not buy a 2019 BMW X4 M40i:
- The biggest offending element is rear visibility, for both the driver and rear passengers. The X4 should a 2+2 and come with a warning or at least some Gravol for the kids.
- It’s not quite right to complain about pricing but, as tested, my 2019 BMW X4 M40i retailed for over $77,000. A new Porsche Macan S with very choice options is available for the price… For some, the Porsche vs. BMW may not be so clear cut.
- Some features are only available with expensive options packages, like satellite radio and heated seats, on a $66,000 vehicle.
The reasons not to buy the new 2019 BMW X4 M40i are, as you can see, fairly limited. The same thinking applies to the BMW X3. Other than price, the X4 suffers only from its design, for the rear passengers.
The week I had the X4, I did not set up my kids on the bench for fear they may get motion sickness. The other vehicle I had was also an SUV, a Mercedes-AMG GLC 63 S specifically speaking, and despite being less comfortable and refined, I had to strap the family in the Merc. For this reason, I would not get an X4 but I would seriously consider an X3 M40i.
For the money, the aforementioned Porsche Macan S would certainly be high, if not first, on the list. A well-equipped Audi SQ5 would also make the list however it would land behind a Mercedes-AMG GLC 43 with a few options itself.
BMW SUVs have displayed incredible manners on the road. They now, more than ever, look monstrously purposeful, prestigious and powerful. Something’s also happening with the cars as the M850i is phenomenal and, I’m currently driving a new 2020 BMW Z4. It would seem as though BMW’s on the ball.
2019 BMW X4 M40i Photo Gallery