We’ve written a few stories on the car already but this is the one with the official pictures.
The pictures are absolutely necessary as the words used by McLaren itself to describe this car’s design are insufficient: “Teardrop-shaped cockpit and dramatically elongated, aerodynamically optimised, 5.2m carbon fibre body key to Speedtail being the most aero-drag efficient McLaren road car.”
As we know, only 106 will be built and will sport a starting price of £1.75million plus taxes. The powertrain is of the petrol-electric hybrid type and delivers a combined 1,050PS (1,000-horsepower) which will allow the Speedtail to reach 300km/h (0-186mph) in 12.8 seconds, on its way to a top speed of 403km/h (250mph).
Here’s the breakdown on the car, lifted from McLaren’s press release:
- McLaren’s first ‘Hyper-GT’ and the ultimate McLaren road car; harmonises sleek and seamless beauty with pioneering technologies and extreme performance
- A car like no other: only 106 will be produced, all of which are already reserved at a price from £1.75million plus taxes
- Carbon fibre McLaren Monocage body structure unique to the Speedtail envelops McLaren F1-inspired central driving position and two additional passenger seats
- Unique Velocity mode optimises the powertrain and active aerodynamics to achieve maximum speed and can also lower the Speedtail by 35mm
- Bespoke P-ZERO™ tyre developed with McLaren technology partner, Pirelli
- Carbon fibre, front-wheel static aero-covers; retractable digital rear-view cameras in lieu of mirrors; and patented active rear ailerons all contribute to aerodynamic excellence
- Double-skinned, power-operated dihedral doors with single-piece ‘wrapover’ lightweight glazing
- Interior design and specification realises a new level of technical luxury
- Advanced electrochromic glass darkens top of the windscreen at the touch of a button, removing the need for sunvisors
- Introduces a new standard of bespoke customisation, including interwoven carbon titanium deposition materials and digitally embossed, full-aniline and lightweight leathers
- First of 18 new cars or derivatives to be announced under the Track25 business plan.
- McLaren Speedtail recently revealed to future owners and McLaren customers at a private event in London